THE EARNED RUNS "2016 TURKEY TROT TRACK DAY" Training Plan for beginners CALENDAR has the majority of running day sessions measured by time (minutes) rather than distance (miles). Only the TRACK DAYS are counted by laps on a track, which are translated into miles on the TRACK DAY SCHEDULE. On Saturday RUNS the approximate distance of the run portion of the run:walk time is provided so the option there to run a distance rather than the proscribed time period. It raises the question: what’s the better way to measure running sessions, by minutes or miles?
Coach Jay Johnson weighs in on this topic in an article on ACTIVE.com “Should You Train With Miles or Minutes?” Johnson believes that “90 percent of the time busy adult runners should be using minutes to quantify their running.” The remaining 10 percent, which by the article means longer runs he indicates, “should be calculated by miles”. Coach Johnson explains further his philosophy with regard to the different types of running sessions: easy day, workouts, and long runs.
This is one reason many beginner plans, like that offered by EarnedRuns for 2016 Thanksgiving holiday 5K races (based on Mario Fraioli’s plan) employs minutes rather than mile measures. Experienced runners often know their running speed and mentally calculate how much time they can expect to be running. Beginner runners won’t be able to do this, especially early on the plan, since hopefully with training their times will change and IMPROVE a bit.
The other reason the Jay Johnson article is brought to your attention in this post is because it informs runners that flexibility and strength training are important.
Embedded in the article’s section about workouts is a link to a page with YouTube videos in which Johnson has an elite runner demonstrate a number of progressively more difficult cool-downs that are intended to help build strength and avoid injury. The #1 progression incorporates all the “MYRTL’ (hip girdle mobility) exercises that Jay Johnson is famous for promoting. There’s a video on the RESOURCES page that only contains MYRTLs that omits other elements of strength training you see in these videos. Check out these videos or those on the Resources page. MYRTL's should be performed before or after all runs, but are scheduled only once on the EarnedRuns plan. This is to conserve space on the calendar, but be aware that you can do them every day to help improve mobility!!
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
BRIDGE TO PHYSICAL SELF
Running, walking, and fitness activities enable us to experience our physical selves in a world mostly accessed through use of fingers on a mobile device.
EARNED RUNS is edited and authored by me, runner and founder. I began participating in road races before 5Ks were common. I've been a dietitian, practiced and taught clinical pathology, and been involved with research that utilized pathology. I am fascinated with understanding the origins of disease as well as health.
New! Search Box
Earned Runs is now searchable! Check it out...